Monday, November 19, 2012

Things You Should Remember In Know While Trailing the Deer

Some time a hunter even can get lost on daylight hunting. You can get lost in the woods where you are not familiar with. It is very important for a hunter that he must know where he is when he go for hunting.

A friend and I were cruising a piece of timber when we jumped two deer. It was out of season, but I wanted to know where the deer would go, so we followed them for a short distance. I soon lost the track and, walking to the left, saw an old track. As soon as I saw that it was not the track which I was looking for, I walked in the direction I was facing instead of turning back as I should have done. Before I had gone a hundred feet, I saw to my left a disturbed place on the ground. When I walked to it there were the tracks that I was looking for, and a clear print of my own foot beside it. I felt sheepish when I looked at my grinning companion who told me just what I had done. I had become completely turned around in an area no larger than a city lot, and this on a day with a bright sun shining overhead.

Another time I was hunting alone in a piece of woods which was about two miles wide-east and west-and five or six miles long. This woodland was surrounded by town roads. I had hunted the west half of this area and was quite familiar with it, but knew little about the east half or the road which bounded that side. It was early in the season and I had little hope of bagging a deer, but wanted to get an idea of their feeding grounds and where the largest herd as staying. My plan was to follow a woodroad to an abandoned woodchopper's camp which was about halfway through the woods, turn left and goes about a half-mile to the north to another wood road which I could follow back to the point where the car was located.

I found the camp without seeing anything of interest, then walked along, checking game trails for signs of recent use. When I came to the town road, I turned left again, which should have taken me back to my car. I walked along this road for a time and then it dawned on me that there should be an open field on my right where there was nothing but woods. The sky was over- cast, but I had my compass pinned to my coat and I glanced at it to check directions to assure myself that everything was right. I had to shake the compass and let it settle before I could believe that I was headed north when I should have been traveling south. Usually I am no dumber than many other hunters, but it took me a good ten minutes to figure out where I was and how I came women's coats to be there. I was on the east road when I should have been on the west one and somehow I had traveled all the way through the woods.

My mental compass wouldn't adjust itself so, in order to be safe as well as to have easier walking, I returned to the place where I had left the woods and followed the wood road back into the woods in a westerly direction. This road ended in a small chopping. Using my compass, I crossed this chopping and another cutting, following a road out of the latter, and came to a camp.

This camp was unfamiliar to me until I looked into the window and then I realized that it was the same which I had passed earlier in the day. The act of looking in the window brought my mental compass back into adjustment and I was all right for the rest of the day.

Somewhere after leaving the camp for the first time, I became so interested in deer tracks that I lost my directions and turned to the right when I thought that I was going straight ahead. Sometimes a man will get lost by not heeding the instructions of his companions or his guide.

When someone got lost it took him quite long to even figure it out where he is and where he was heading for. Some times you might even forget to use your equipments like the compass, etc. this can often happens when trailing the deer or tracking them. And getting lost may be cost by not paying enough heeds to instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment